Wed in London - City Wedding Blog

Tuesday 29 November 2011

Hello! You must Bridezilla!


I knew it wouldn't take long for my inner bridezilla to appear! She's not quite reared her ugly head just yet, she's merely taking a peek out, testing the air and generally letting me (and G!) know that she's there. And the reason for her dubut appearance? A possible change in venue.

As a bit of a recap, myself and G had already found the venue as close to perfect as we can get for our budget. After hours and hours of research we discounted dozens of venue around London that, although stunning wedding locations, were just too expensive for us. We found somewhere with a more realistic hire fee and who wouldn't charge us corkage. This option is still going to cost us a big whack of dosh as feeding 100 people is never going to come cheap. But I now realise that the venue, the food and drink are important to me and we are prepared to spend the vast majority of our budget getting these things right and compromising in other areas.

But G has now thrown a spanner into the works with another venue suggestion. The venue in question is actually owned and run by a family friend. Its a restaurant with a courtyard area where they put a marquee up. To be honest its not my cup of tea and I wouldn't be considering it only for the fact that there might be a cost saving. My inner bridezilla is telling me to put my foot down now and just be honest that I'm not overly keen and that I don't want to waste anybody's time by letting people think that we're interested. The more sensible part of me is saying go see it, at least hear the guy out and see what he can offer us. What do you think? Am I being a princess by not wanting to consider it? Or should I stick with my gut feeling and admit I'm not willing to compromise with this venue?

Maybe I'm picking holes now but I'm also concerned about the fact that this place is owned and run by someone close to G's family, mixing business with pleasure and all that. I'm under no allusion that planning this wedding is at times going to be stressful and at some stages along the way people are going to make mistakes, not do something I ask or just generally peev me off. I have two ways of dealing with this kind of frustration. One is to let loose at the person causing my frustration until they rectify the problem. The other is to not say anything but seethe inside and have a whinge to those around me. Either reaction is not going to do me any good in forging a better relationship with my in-laws if the source of my frustration is their friend!


So what should I do? Am I being an utter bridezilla by not wanting to consider this other option? Is the sensible thing to at least go talk to the guy? Advice appreciated!


4 comments:

  1. I suspect the golden rule of wedding planning might apply here: Once you've found 'the one' - STOP LOOKING! (***applicable to dress/venue/photographer/colour-schemes/honeymoon etc etc etc... I could go on)

    We're in a similar situation ourselves so I TOTALLY get your point - there are a lot of 'what ifs' floating around here too at the moment. But, you already found your venue, it's ticked off the list, and you love it, right??? Don't muddy the water :)

    (But if you do get persuaded to go and have a sneaky look, book in another trip to see your original venue on the same day - it makes it much easier to compare the two more realistically, and recapture that 'Wow, this is it!' feeling :) - and go with the one that 'feels' right!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Laura. That is brilliant advice! Well I've told G to sort out a viewing for the other place and he's not done it yet, so secretly hoping he never gets round to it, hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand - I was in a smiliar situation, we were offered another venue for 10% of the cost of the one we had found. This was because of my h2b's work. The venue was nice, but not my cup of tea. We went to see and we both, luckily, thought the same. It was v tempting to go for it because of the price but it would have compromised our whole wedding so I am happy to say we stuck with our original venue. Saving money is good, but getting the right place is the most important. Stick to your gut instinct!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went to see the caterers for my favourite venue today and they helped G to get more of a feel for the venue so fingers crossed he's forgotten all about the other place now!

    ReplyDelete